Friday, September 16, 2011

Sensitive Geek MAN: Say Hello to my little friend

I am always the first person up in my house on the weekdays, and today is no exception.  It is just before 7 as I am writing and I have already been on a run and eaten breakfast, checked all my email, and now written this post.

While being up isn't different, getting all that other stuff done is. Usually I need to be out of the house by 6 in order to make it to work by 7:30, but today I am taking off work to go stand up in a friends wedding. I enjoy weddings. I usually have fun at them, and I am still somewhat of a romantic (regardless of what my wife may think), so the idea of weddings appeals to me.

This particular wedding is interesting, because i am standing up in it, and because this particular friend and I have not know each other long in the Grand Scheme.

However, he is one of those people with whom I have developed a particular and special bond, and quickly at that. I hope anyone reading understands what I mean. A person who very quickly gets you and whom you get. One of those friendships that becomes tight rapidly and is naturally relaxing. It's very nice.

I have had several of those types of friendships over the years. I am happy to say that I am still friends with almost all of them, regardless of my lack of long distance communication skills. That is another nice thing about those types of friendships: distance and time are less of a hindrance than with other friendships.  Which is good, since for some unknown reason, many of my friends of this sort feel the need to move rather far away once we have our friendship established.

Now, I don't want you to think that I somehow value these friends more. The value of a relationship is not the ease of the relationship. It isn't necessarily that these are better friends, although some of them make up some of my very close friends. These friends just come more easily and quickly. There is an appeal to that.  However, I also find that there is a great deal to be said for friends with whom I have had to put in a lot of work and years of time. These friends have been proven by fire.  We may not have as much in common naturally and our times together may not be as peaceful, but we have proven the friendship time and time again, and it has grown us in doing so.

Really, I am thankful that God brings these different types of relationships to us. I learn things from each of my friendships; other than Himself, they are the best teacher He's given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment